Sunday, March 11, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

Bell peppers were on sale this week which made me crave stuffed peppers. I used to make these for the family all the time.

6 large green peppers
1 pound ground beef
2 tbls chopped onion
1tsp salt 1/8 tsp garlic salt
1 cup cooked rice
15 oz tomato sauce

Today I altered the recipe by using my salsa instead of tomato sauce and onion in the cooked ground beef.  I also used brown rice.  The original recipe suggests cooking the peppers in boiling water for five minutes before stuffing them with the meat filling - I skipped that.  After browning the beef, I stirred in the salsa and rice.  I stuffed two peppers and put them in the microwave for 10 minutes.  (The original recipe says to cover them bake at 350 for 45 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes more.) The microwave is so much quicker - duh! I know this recipe was yummy because JoPapa said "Wow! You should make these more often." I loved the flavor combo of green pepper, beef, and salsa! I sprinkled some bread with garlic and cheese and popped that in the oven long enough to melt the cheese. With a side salad, corn, and some applesauce we had a great, colorful meal! Oh...not all the meat fit in those two peppers so I put that meat filling in a quart jar and froze it.  We'll have a really quick meal next time JoPapa craves stuffed peppers!  Of course if you'd like to enjoy this meal, you'll have to come here or pay for my fare to your house. I don't think these stuffed peppers would ship well.

No comments:

Post a Comment