Friday, March 9, 2012

Starting From the Ground Up

JoPapa and I enjoyed working in the yard and garden a couple of days ago.  Peg's Pantry is starting to run low so it's a good thing spring is just about here so I'll be able to restock.  JoPapa tilled in some organic compost - it was cotton mulch actually.  We had the soil tested and the manure and pH levels are great. We try to keep the garden and our produce chemical free.  So, I've spent quite a bit of time pulling weeds instead of spraying.  I pulled lots from around the berry bushes and the garden is ready to plant all over as soon as it is warm enough. You know, I have no qualms about poisoning the weeds in my yard. I'm not planning on eating the grass! ;-) We planted a couple of varieties of lettuce, some spinach, and some peas - they can tolerate the frost we got this morning.  I don't plan on preserving any of those vegetables, but I love to eat fresh from the garden and can't wait to start nibbling lettuce and spinach.  Maybe if you are in the neighborhood, you can come harvest some for yourself in a few weeks! Anyway, after watering, we discovered we hadn't tilled deep enough because the water washed out a mole tunnel! YIKES! A friend of ours said we can put gummy worms in the holes because moles can't digest gummy worms. It will cause the moles to become constipated...and then...expire. I'll leave it at that.  Last summer I was watering the yard and saw the ground moving. I dug up and whacked three moles that way. A hunting I will go... Oh, the sacrifices I make for an organic garden! Excited for spring and more gardening! Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment