Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chocolate Smash Cookies

When JoPapa is craving chocolate, when anybody is craving chocolate for that matter, THIS is the cookie to bake! The first time I made this recipe, I read the instructions "will puff during baking, flatten upon cooling" to mean that I was to flatten the cookies. So I always took a flat-bottomed glass and flattened each cookie as it cooled. Imagine and share my chagrin when I discovered, quite by accident, that these cookies flatten themselves as they cool! Good thing I got distracted that day and didn't get around to smashing those cookies! If you like, you can mix up some cocoa, butter and powdered sugar to frost these cookies, but we like them as is.  As always, you can twist my arm and I'll ship a batch to you - for a fee of course! Otherwise, here it is. Enjoy!
CHOCOLATE "SMASH" COOKIES
2 sticks margarine
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, blend well. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. (Stir in nuts if desired) Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 35o degrees for 8 to 9 minutes. (Do not over bake. Cookies will be soft. They will puff during baking, flatten upon cooling.) Cool on cookie sheet until set, about 1 minutes; remove and cool completely. Makes about 4 ½ dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment