Thursday, December 15, 2011

Share Your Christmas

This is the first year I haven't been at work so that made me available to help at Share Your Christmas. What a massive undertaking this is! I should have been there earlier this week to help sort all those gifts because I sure wasn't needed today. I did enjoy the atmosphere - it made me feel like one of Santa's elfs or should that be one of Santa's elves? One elf - two elves...I'm only one! Confused too!  Anyway, Share Your Christmas was amazing! The activities building was packed with toys, clothing, and groceries.  For weeks now, people have been shopping and filling wishes from the Angel Trees that are up around town. JoPapa Bear and I have had fun shopping for several toys for this project (and others).

This is organized by an experienced group of volunteers.  Each family has a number assigned to them. The area churches adopt an age group and buy presents and clothing based on the requests when the families sign up.  Church volunteers sort all those items and put each child's presents in a bag. Then on distribution day a volunteer brings a shopping cart down all the aisles, picking up a bag for each person on the list and filling another cart with groceries to feed the family. Then the family drives up to the door and volunteers load all these goodies in the car. Sweet! Our church had over 200 five to seven year olds to buy presents for. City wide, there were over 600 families that got support from Share Your Christmas! Can you imagine!?

I thank God that my family is on the giving end of this equation instead of the needing to receive end!

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment