Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Raw Apple Cake

Today, I'm baking a cake I have been craving since I was a teen. Can you believe I've had this recipe and the memory of this delicious cake for so many years and never attempted to make it? I can't eat a whole cake by myself so since this is Community Dinner night at the Methodist church, I'll have a whole room full of people to enjoy this cake and save me from myself! Victor Esser was Dad's first cousin and friend. Amazingly, Walter Lammers was also a good friend of Victor's.  What a wonderful turn of events that after Dad passed away, Mom would meet Walter at Victor and Eunice's anniversary party! So glad the ingredients in my cabinet matched the recipe - mostly. I had to chop up my candy coated pecans and substitute them instead of walnuts. This cake smells delicious! I can make this cake for you upon request. :-)
RAW APPLE CAKE(From Eunice Esser)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 stick butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
3 cups raw diced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 cup candied pineapple – diced fine
1 cup coconut – diced fine
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Caramel icing2 ¼ cup brown sugar moistened with cream (I substituted milk)
Stir and boil until softball stage is reached. Cool. Then add
½ stick butter
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat until of spreading consistency. Add more cream if needed (I substituted milk)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream sugar butter and eggs. Beat until fluffy. Add vanilla. Beat in sifted flour, salt, and spices. Add diced fruit and nuts. Last add soda and baking powder. Spread evenly in greased 9x13 pan. Bake approximately 45 minutes or until done. Cool cake and then frost with caramel icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment