Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

This is a great way to use left over chicken. Other wise this recipe takes a while longer to make because you'll have to cook and chop chicken! Today, I was glad I had some chicken in the freezer ready to go. Sometimes, I chop up the meat we have left over after dinner and put it in a labeled container in the freezer. Planning ahead! I have often doubled or quadrupled this recipe depending on the crowd I expect to feed. Tonight, I followed the recipe and since it's just Papa Bear and I, we'll enjoy these enchiladas again in a couple of days.  I served refried beans, lettuce, black olives, and chips with this. And for dessert, I spread butter on flour tortillas and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top. Using a pizza cutter, I sliced each into four triangles and then baked these for about 10 minutes at 375. Easy, crunchy dessert!
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
 
½ cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
¼ cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
6 flour tortilla (6 or 8 inch)
¼ pound Velveeta, cubed
2 tablespoons milk
½ cup chopped tomato, divided (I use salsa)
 
 Microwave onion, garlic and oil in 2-quart microwave-safe casserole on High 2 – 3 minutes or until tender, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, chilies, broth and seasonings. Microwave on high 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is melted. Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam side down, in 8-inch square microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave Velveeta, and ¼ cup tomato in medium microwave –safe bowl on high 2 to 3 minutes or until Velveeta is melted, stirring after each minute. Pour sauce over tortillas; top with remaining tomatoes. Microwave on high 6 to 8 minutes or until thoroughly heated, turning dish after 3 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.

1 comment: