Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Baking today!

I got inspired to bake something I've not tried before. One recipe I found on the back of the bag of flour and I don't know where I found the other one.  I had to run to the store to get started - of course! I needed two tablespoons of pineapple juice for the carrot cake, and since they are currently just 99 cents I bought a fresh one and just pressed out the juice I needed from a small piece of fresh sliced. Yum! The cherry bread called for maraschino cherries. The recipe didn't say to drain them, but I did.  I also used some of my cinnamon glazed pecans in each recipe and just chopped them up in my food processor for the recipes.  Do you want some of these yummies?  I know how to package and ship and will be happy to do so upon request - accompanied by money works best! Or you can make some yourself using the recipes below. Enjoy!
Special Cherry Pecan Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted¾ cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon baking soda 1 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries,
½ teaspoon saltdrained and chopped
¾ cup granulated sugar1 teaspoon almond extract
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided1 tablespoon water
2 eggs½ cup powered sugar
1 cup buttermilk 

Preheat over to 350° F. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream granulated sugar and ½ cup butter. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Slowly add dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating until well mixed. Stir in nuts, cherries, and almond extract. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake 55 - 60 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack to cool. In a small bowl, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add water, powdered sugar, and 1 drop almond extract. Stir well and spoon over warm bread. Makes 1 loaf.

CARROT CAKE
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups grated carrot, about 3-4 carrots
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
½ cup chopped nuts
1 ¼ cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x9 inch-baking pan. Beat together eggs and sugar until creamy. Stir in vegetable oil until well combined. Add grated carrots, pineapple juice, and nuts. Mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well. Add flour mixture to carrot mixture; stir until just combined. Pour into greased and floured baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool, then frost with cream cheese frosting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment