Friday, January 20, 2012

Favorite Cookies

I always enjoy making these Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.  I can pretend they are a health food because of the oats and raisins.  My mom used to try and convince me to let the kids eat these cookies for breakfast.  She did weigh 200 to 300 pounds most of her life and thought this was a good idea, but I didn't. God bless her! She did know how to enjoy life! I enjoy a good breakfast and a mid-morning snack and that's when I prefer to enjoy these cookies.  My friend Ann at KYOO asked me for these cookies - while she was on the air doing Swap Shop.  It's hard to refuse a request like that.  So...since I had baked these yesterday for the Polk County Bike Club (PCBC) meeting and had cleverly bagged up a dozen just in case, I took off in my car and delivered her cookies. She threw her head back and laughed and laughed! I enjoy shipping my treats or in this case delivering them so that I can share the bounty which I've been blessed to have. If you need cookies, you can bake them yourself, or for a small fee, will send some to you too!

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
¾ cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon soda
1 cup raisins
3 cups oats
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix thoroughly shortening, sugars, egg, water, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 inch apart onto greased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched with finger. Immediately remove from baking sheet. Store in tightly covered container.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies – 74 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment