Friday, October 4, 2013

Popcorn

I love a crunchy treat like popcorn. I eat popcorn three or four times a week. It really satisfies my snack craving! My hot air popper really gets a work out! Usually I eat it plain, but sometimes I need a sweet treat. That's when I make something like this.
First, pop up about four quarts of hot air popped popcorn.  Set aside. In a pan on the stove melt 1 stick of butter, I cup of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup Karo white syrup. Bring to a boil and stir until soft ball stage or 235 degrees. Then remove from heat and mix in 1/4 teaspoon soda and then 1 teaspoon cinnamon flavor and some red food color and then 1/8 teaspoon cream of tatar.  Pour this mixture over the popcorn and stir thoroughly. Transfer the coated popcorn onto a cookie sheet (or two) and bake at 200 degrees for an hour stirring occasionally. 

Eat when it's cool enough to handle or however long you can resist! This makes quite a bit but it stores well if you keep it tightly sealed.  It also makes a nice gift if you have some decorative tins.  

I've played with this recipe often enough that I don't use exact measurements any more.  I also just boil and cook ithe syrup until it looks about right. But if I were making it for you, I'd follow the step-by-step directions to insure it came out right!  And if you ask very nicely, I could be persuaded to make some for you!

Enjoy your snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment