Monday, October 28, 2013

Meat loaf


Be careful who you invite to the table to enjoy this mouthwatering dish. My dinner guests each wanted the end slice. Someone, who shall remain nameless, sliced down the sides of the loaf! I think he likes to torment me.
:-D

For me, cooler weather and oven baked meals go hand in hand.  I followed the recipe I found exactly...except with these changes!  I can't help myself from tweaking recipes I haven't even followed once. But that's the kind of girl I am. This was delicious, by the way.

It could be made into for smaller loaves or even meatballs, which would make it easier to put away for a second meal. You might have to adjust the baking time. The flavor and texture were just right. Since I used my food processor to make the bread crumbs, I continued to use the food processor to mix all the ingredients. That probably accounted for the smooth texture. 

Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of 9x13 pan

Mix together 
2 lbs ground beef
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs (I used my food processor to crumb leftover buns I had in the freezer)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. savory (the original recipe called for sage)

Shape into large loaf.
Bake 50-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. 

Top with a mixture of:
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbls. Brown sugar
1 tsp. powdered mustard

Return to oven and bake for 10 more minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment