Monday, December 10, 2012

Chunky Cranberry Applesauce

One thing I love about this time of year is that we can purchase fresh cranberries! They are so tasty and good for us to eat. I was craving some fresh cranberry applesauce and by the time you finish reading this, maybe you'll be hungry for some too!




Naturally red from the apples and cranberries!


First I wash my apples and cranberries, then core and cut up the apples. I don't peel my apples, because I don't want to waste any of their natural goodness. In a 2-quart sauce pan (or larger), put one bag of cranberries, six apples, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of cloves. Stir and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. I've found that it takes a varied amount of time to cook depending on the type of apples I use and how strong the simmer is going. But you will know it is cooked, when the apples are soft and mushy. I have a wonderful old sieve that I inherited from my grandmother that I usually use for applesauce. If I knew in which box I packed it, I would put all this in the sieve and make it a smooth sauce. But since I can't locate that (or the keys to our old house) I am eating a chunky sauce. I was surprised that I liked this texture. More surprising is that JoPapa likes this and asked for some at supper. That's a big compliment coming from a 'meat-n-taters' kind of guy!
Let me know what you think of this recipe.  I could can it and ship it, but it's best if you cook this one yourself.  An added benefit, is the lovely smell of apples and cinnamon.  It makes a great air freshener! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment