Friday, April 20, 2012

Sweet…spicy…a little nutty…Cake!

Reminds me of me! We are blessed to have the opportunity to serve others through God’s Gathering dinners at Bolivar United Methodist Church. This gives me the chance to try out new recipes! We were invited to bring cakes to help with this Wednesday’s meal so I searched for something interesting and new to me. I found this spice cake recipe and tweaked it a bit. Then I chose to top it with a broiled topping another something I’ve never tried before. The directions said to spread the topping evenly over the cake, but that wasn’t working too well. I put it under the broiler for about a minute – watching as the directions said. As soon as it started to melt a bit, I took it out smoothed it evenly then returned it to continue cooking. I pulled it out about every 30 seconds after two minutes to see if it was burning or what. The bubbles were changing consistency and then I discovered how lovely a broiled topping is! It changed to a darker caramel color and there was that smell! Wow! If I could pack this up and bring it to you, I would. You should have seen it, but I don’t know how to post pictures without my Dayna Bug here to do it for me! Also wish I had that great scratch and stiff app for my computer too. So instead, as soon as it was cool I put it in my car. It made a great air freshener and a delicious dessert when I delivered to church. Try this, it’s good!
Sweet, Spicy, Nutty Cake
2 ½ cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
¾ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. cloves
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ginger
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
½ cup shortening
3 eggs
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour baking pan, 13x9x2 inches. Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl. Blend ½ minute on low speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until wooded pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven. While still warm top with
Butterscotch Broiled Topping
¼ cup soft butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup finely chopped nuts
2 tablespoons milk
Mix thoroughly butter, brown sugar and nuts. Stir in milk. Spread mixture evenly over warm cake. Set oven control at broil and/or 550 degrees. Place cake 5 inches from heat; broil about 3 minutes or until topping bubbles and browns slightly. (Watch carefully – mixture burns easily.)

No comments:

Post a Comment