Monday, May 23, 2016

STRAWBERRIES AND RHUBARB

Friends are angels on earth! Have you ever noticed how they show up just when you need them and sometimes even when you didn't know you needed them? They are there in times of trouble and also in times of just because!

Just a hand full of juiciness! They are small, but mighty tasty!
Nancy DeBerg is one of those generous souls who showed up in my life. She shares her time, talents, and her plants! She shared a shovel full of her over-crowded strawberry plants with me one spring. We discovered 18 plants in that shovel full of dirt! My sweetheart JoPapa created a strawberry patch for us to plant them in and they have taken off and produced lots of deliciousness! Sometimes when I'm picking them, it difficult for me to get the berries past my mouth and into the house!

After sharing a photo of my joyful harvest, one of my cousins mentioned rather humorously, that he'd fight for some of my strawberry preserves! 
Why can't we all just get along?! 
:-D
I promise, I'll save up some strawberries and make enough preserves to share.

I also remember some of my family members love rhubarb jam.
Yes, I followed this recipe exactly!
Fortunately, one of my hobbies involves the kitchen and canning! So to keep the peace, I decided to get busy! Again, with the help of Nancy! But get this, she said my request for rhubarb was an answer to her problem of what to do with hers! We had a lovely stroll around her yard as we visited before we harvested rhubarb. And a few hours later...rhubarb jam to share!


How about some rhubarb jam on toast, biscuits, or ice cream?
Thank God for gardens, abundant harvests and friendships!
I love how God provides for us. 
Food for our bellies and food for our souls. 
Thank God for angels on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment